Founder’s Day at Mazenod College on May 21 has a long and rich tradition. The Founders’ Day Mass and associated activities is now an annual college event.
In fact, Founder’s Day dates to 1826 when a young man named Fr Eugene de Mazenod founded the Missionary Oblates of Mary in Aix-en- Provence, France. The 21st May celebrates the day in 1861 when St Eugene died.
On his death bed, surrounded by his fellow brother Oblates, Bishop Eugene said to them, “Among yourselves practice charity, charity, charity; and outside, zeal for the salvation of souls.” These parting words are also addressed to us as we are called to strive to be of service to one another and to live a life in response to God’s love for us.
The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate arrived in Fremantle in 1894 to undertake the pastoral care of a reformatory for young boys.
Mazenod College was the vision of local parish priests who wanted a secondary Catholic Education for young men of this area. The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate were invited to found and undertake the pastoral care of the College which opened on 2nd February 1967 in St Joseph’s Primary, Springvale and moved to its current site in 1968.
On December 3, 1995, Bishop Eugene de Mazenod was declared Saint, not just for the De Mazenod Family, but a Saint for the whole world.
Celebrating Founder’s Day is an annual reminder to all who are associated with the many facets of the De Mazenod Family that we are the current custodians of St Eugene de Mazenod’s Faith, Spirit, Vision, and Charism for all people, especially the abandoned and needy of our society.
We pray that when we celebrate Founder’s Day St Eugene will continue to bless and inspire us.Back to news