Archives

Painting of Oblates Founder

A painting of Bishop Eugene De Mazenod (founder of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate) arrived at Mazenod College. Commissioned by Mr Ercole Cester in 1969 and presented to the College as a gift, it was painted by the artist Mr Carlo Onesti who was born in Italy in 1913 and arrived in Australia after the Second World War. 

Categories:

Priests’ Residence

Work commenced on building a permanent residence for the Oblates religious staff. In April 1970, the new house was completed and the priests’ moved out of an empty classroom in the college which had been their temporary accommodation since June 1968.

Categories:

Official Opening & Blessing of Mazenod College

Mazenod College Victoria was Officially Opened and Blessed by His Eminence, Thomas Cardinal Cooray OMI (Archbishop of Colombo). Students formed a guard of honour down Kernot Ave to greet the Cardinal as he arrived with the Archbishop of Melbourne with a police escort. After blessing the College, proceedings moved to the quadrangle where a large crowd including students, parents and nuns watched the official unveiling of the plaque by the Federal Minister for Immigration and local MP, Rt Hon Billy Snedden. Seated on the dais with the Federal Minister was Fr Noel Coghlan (Parish Priest of Springvale), Fr William Cagney OMI (Provincial of the Oblates in Australia), His Eminence, Thomas Cardinal Cooray OMI (Archbishop of Colombo), Archbishop Knox (Archbishop of Melbourne), Fr Kevin Toomey (Parish Priest of Clayton), Bishop Cullinane (Auxilliary to Archbishop Knox) and the Rector.

Categories: