Learning and Teaching
Learning is a means to self-fulfillment, material prosperity and success but it is also and especially a call to serve and be responsible for others. At Mazenod, this implies the following objectives:
• That Mazenod will ensure that all its students attain the highest level of literacy, oracy and numeracy appropriate to their level of ability. This involves a positive effort to respect students of lesser ability and to cultivate their abilities to the fullest; whilst also responding to excellence in ability in other students
• That Mazenod will foster the natural creative talents of its students developing creative, imaginative and intuitive ways of thinking.
This embraces the twin aims of education for career and education for leisure and involves the cultivation of musical, artistic, craft, technological and manual skills
• That Mazenod will develop through instruction in, and provision of, a wide range of sporting and physical activities, an awareness of the importance of physical fitness and good nutrition as significant elements in healthy living
• That Mazenod will develop skills of analytical and critical thought and emphasize the value of learning as an on-going factor in self-development throughout life. This requires the promotion of good study methods in order that a student’s full potential be realized.
• That Mazenod will provide suitable guidance to students in subject selection throughout their school life and especially career guidance
• That Mazenod, particularly in its teaching of the humanities subjects, promotes an appreciation of Australia’s culture and history as well as those of other societies and systems.
A varied program is offered, designed to serve the mixed abilities and interests of students, and the demands of the work place that they will eventually enter. The College recognises the changing demands of society in this technological age and the importance of not only an academic program but also vocational education and training. As a consequence, information technology is utilised across the curriculum and close ties with TAFE and Industry have been developed and expanded.